ERG Environmental Services of Livonia, MI, seeks full-time: Mechanic(s)
Full-time mechanics needed to maintain and repair a fleet of heavy and medium-duty vehicles, a variety of trailers, and equipment. The fleet predominantly contains class 8 Kenworth power units with Cummins engines, three box trucks: Peterbilt, Freightliner, and Kenworth, and one-ton pick-up trucks.
The ideal candidate must have proven experience as a heavy diesel mechanic. One bay heated repair shop with accompanying equipment, a diagnostic computer, and a shift-use company pickup truck is provided. Significant repairs are handled at trusted off-site vendors if the conditions are too complex to handle in-house.
Tasks include but not limited to:
- Perform scheduled preventative maintenance (“PM”), DOT Inspections, and follow-up repairs to trucks (light and heavy).
- Perform routine maintenance such as changing oil, checking batteries, and lubricating equipment.
- Diagnose, adjust, and repair various types of truck equipment including, but not limited to, electrical, brake, cooling systems, starters, alternators, air conditioning systems, fan clutches, engine electronics, power steering systems, chassis, driveline, and hydraulic systems, etc.
- Inspect, test, and listen to defective equipment to diagnose malfunctions using test instruments such as computers and pressure gauges.
- Use essential hand tools, precision instruments, power tools, welding equipment, and jacks.
- Accurately complete DOT forms and all other forms of documentation in a timely fashion.
- Road test vehicles to diagnose malfunctions or ensure they are working correctly.
- Work independently and manage your daily tasks.
- Complete or coordinate a roadside repair.
- Maintain a high level of productivity and be able to work within or close to repair timeframes.
- Obtain parts from approved local vendors as necessary for the repairs.
- Manage parts inventory and equipment provided and perform periodic reconciliation.
- Communicate with management and support team via email or phone to obtain approvals on repair estimates, retrieve purchase order numbers, and discuss RO findings notes.
- Communicate equipment status with the operations team.
- Perform all work in compliance with organizational safety, health and environmental policies, and federal regulations, including OSHA, EPA, and DOT.
- Participate and complete all company-required training.
- Establishes and maintains good working relationships with employees and vendors.
- Communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Exposure to variable temperatures and weather conditions, confined workspaces, heights, such as on ladders and equipment, high noise levels, electrical hazards, dust and ability to lift to 50-75 lbs. minimum.
- Minimum (3) experience as a Diesel Technician on Class 7 – 8 types of vehicles.
- Competent with computer diagnostics.
- A valid Driver’s License is required. CDL-A is preferred but not required.
- High School Diploma or an equivalent combination of education. Technical school is a plus.
- Must provide own hand tools that are adequate to perform job functions.
- Excellent verbal communication skills. Ability to communicate effectively with management and drivers.
- Proficiency in using mobile devices, navigating mobile applications, and using email to document repairs and communication.
- Willingness to work varied schedules and work outdoors in the elements.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, multi-task, and apply initiative.
- Positive attitude, safety conscious, good instincts, and self-motivation
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to balance a variety of tasks.
- Possess state or industry certificates or the ability to promptly obtain credentials for DOT Inspection and Air Brakes repairs.
- Assist with training apprentices when necessary.
- Knowledge of DOT (Department of Transportation) Regulations.
- Paid time off and paid holidays.
- Health insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance.
- Profit sharing bonuses. Retirement account; simple IRA with company match.
- Boot allowance, Company-paid uniforms and coveralls, PPE provided.
- Consistent work year-round
- Full time: 8-10+ hours per day, 5 to 6 days per week; overtime available.
- $30-$40/Hr. based on qualifications and experience.