Eight firefighters were injured Friday night in an explosion at an Arizona Public Service facility in Surprise. Four Peoria firefighters were the most seriously hurt, with three flown to Maricopa County Medical Center’s burn unit in Phoenix, said Michael Selmer, a Peoria Fire Department spokesman. One was in critical condition. The fourth was taken to a West Valley hospital.
In addition, four other firefighters for the city of Surprise were taken to a hospital for evaluation of less serious injuries, said Battalion Chief Julie Moore of the Surprise Fire Department.
The explosion occurred at the APS McMicken Energy Storage facility near Grand Avenue and Deer Valley Road in Surprise on Friday evening. The facility houses utility-sized batteries on the site used in the storage and distribution of solar energy, according to the APS website.